Saturday, April 23, 2011

Radical

What does it mean to be radical for Jesus? Does it mean just going to church when we can, and praising God only on Sundays and Wednesdays? That's not what being radical means to me. I've had people tell me, "You can be radical inside of the church walls, and only there." I believe we have to be radical for Jesus in an outward sense, that people can't help but realize who you serve, and are drawn to you by the holy spirit. We have to stop putting our own self in front of Jesus. Because if we do, all we are showing people is ourselves. I heard a quote the other day that struck reality into me. It said, "Church, we are Gods' plan A, and I hate to tell you, but there is no plan B." The realization of it is we our Gods' plan to save this world. You and I are apart of a bigger blueprint than we can imagine.

I was having a discussion the other day with an administrator at my school during first period. He started to tell me about how they were thinking about revising the Pledge of Allegiance. He said they were thinking about taking out the part,"One nation, UNDER GOD." I was at a loss for words. I stared at him for about a minute and a half. I was saved by the bell though. All day I pondered on that. Why would we take," UNDER GOD," out of our pledge. Then the lord spoke to me through his word. When he says,"Follow me," that doesn't mean follow yourself. We have put our own christian spin on an American Dream. All the way to the point where it makes me wounder, is God molding us, or are we trying to mold God into our own image? Because if we are trying to mold God into our own image, we are only worshiping ourselves on those Sundays, and Wednesdays.

"Suppose a nation in some distant Region should take the Bible for their only law Book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited! Every member would be obliged in conscience, to temperance, frugality, and industry; to justice, kindness, and charity towards his fellow men; and to piety, love, and reverence toward Almighty God ... What a Utopia, what a Paradise would this region be."
                   ~ John Adams

We have to be radical to get this nation back to where is needs to be. Just like some people want to put a spin on what Jesus says in Luke 9 where he tells a few young men who want to follow him to let the dead bury the dead, and he told the second young man to sell everything he has and give it all to the poor. And he told the third young man to not even say goodbye to his own family. He tells us that in order to follow him that we have to pick up our cross daily. I don't know about you but if somebody told me to pick up the very thing that people are going to try and kill me with, DAILY, I would be a little hesitant. But that is exactly what Jesus tells us to do, and I will not put a spin on his words. It's time to be radical for Jesus and save a generation!

1 comment: